With only six games kicking off on Saturday, there was every chance it would be a boring day of football. But that was not to be. A shock result for all but the most optimistic Baggies saw a draw at Stamford Bridge. A beautiful Hazard shot was deflected and Eto’o caught the rebound, slipping it easily under the keeper, making it 1 nil to the home team. A Shane Long header outwitted Cech but was stopped by the bar, but the Albion’s equaliser was coming. Another goal from a rebound, Shane Long netted the deflection to bring West Brom even.  For a player not blessed with height, Long was outstanding in the air today.  Sessegnon made it 2 for WBA with a lovely shot past Chelsea captain and central defender John Terry after breaking away and catching Chelsea off guard. Thirty years ago today happened to be the last time West Brom won at Stamford Bridge but a Hazard penalty saved Mourinho’s unbeaten record at the King’s Road ground and prevented West Brom making sweet history thirty years on from their last historic win at the London club.

Meanwhile up in Liverpool, Brendan Rodger’s side played yet another skilful 90 minutes of football, putting four past Martin Jol’s Fulham. A Steven Gerrard free kick in the 20th minute came off Fulham defender Amorebieta, putting Liverpool ahead. Skrtel gets the second, using that powerful head of his to volley Liverpool two ahead three minutes later. A Henderson assist led to Suarez scoring the third from a seamless through ball, the result of a beautiful passage of play starting with a classic Steven Gerrard ball. A second Suarez goal made it four in the 54th minute; another impressive performance from the reds.

Crossing to the other side of the country, Ravel Morrison, ex-Utd youth player, slotted one past Ruddy to put the Hammers in the lead at Carrow Road. The Canaries’ equaliser came in the form of a Gary Hooper penalty, with Snodgrass and Fer securing the win for the home team.

There was plenty of action in the Midlands too, with Bacuna and Kozák putting one each past Cardiff City at Villa Park. Moving South to the capital, Crystal Palace Everton ended nil nil; further south still though an exciting 90 minutes was witnessed at St. Mary’s. Schneiderlin opened the scoring for the Saints in the 16th minutes, with a Lambert penalty and a Lallana screamer taking Southampton 3 nil up by half time. Sagbo pulled one back for Hull but a Davis goal in the 88th minute ensured Saints’ fans went home happy with a 4-1 win at home.

Sunday saw a sole Remy goal putting Newcastle ahead at White Hart Lane, with the match finishing 1 nil to the away side. It turned out to be a good day for both North Eastern Premier League teams, with Sunderland snatching a win at Manchester City via a 21st minute goal from Bardsley. The other side of Manchester weren’t as unlucky as their blue counterparts; a van Persie header put Utd ahead of Arsenal in the 27th minute and that was the score that would remain.


Picture from the BBC.