Whether you are vegan, veggie or just fancy a meat free alternative The Sphinx has the perfect recipe for a festive nut roast this New Year’s Day.
Ingredients: Butternut squash, carrots, onion, parsnip, celery mushrooms, celery, garlic, fresh parsley, fresh sage, mixed nuts, brown rice flour, breadcrumbs, oats, eggs x2 (unless you are choosing to make the vegan option), butter (vegan options available), olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Begin by preparing all the vegetables so they are ready to cook. Peel, wash and dice the butternut squash, carrots, celery and mushrooms. Dice the onion and garlic too.
- The mixture of nuts need to be mix in a blender or roughly chop them.
- In the Olive oil on a medium heat fry the carrots, butternut squash, onions and celery. When the celery turns translucent add the garlic and cook for a further few minutes before adding the parsnip. Cook for another couple of minutes and then add the mushrooms.
- Add the sage, parsley, salt, pepper and nuts to the mix and continue to cook on a medium heat. Finally, add the brown rice flour and oats to the pan.
- Once cooked place the mixture into a bowl, add the breadcrumbs and two eggs.
- Prepare the dish by greasing it with butter and lining it with grease-proof paper.
- Pack the mixture into the dish and then cover with tin toil and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove the tin foil and cook for another 15 minutes.