These cookies are the perfect way to start the year with something sweet and satisfying. Whether you need something to pair with your celebratory drinks or just fancy a chocolate treat, these gooey cookies will not disappoint anyone. My Nigella Lawson inspired cookies follow a very simple recipe which anyone can follow. They are utterly delicious so you’ll be surprised that you even cooked them yourself. They’re the perfect little delight to bake for your friends and family to welcome 2018 and say goodbye to 2017!
Ingredients: 150 grams plain flour, 125 grams dark chocolate, 30 grams cocoa powder, 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda, ½ teaspoon salt, 125 grams soft unsalted butter, 75 grams soft light brown sugar, 50 grams white sugar, 350 grams chocolate chips, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 large egg and 1 large orange (zest)
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 170°C/gas mark 3/325ºF. Then melt the chocolate either using a microwave or if you have a heatproof dish, use the hob on a gas cooker.
- Next put the dry ingredients consisting of; the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a bowl.
- In a separate bowl cream the butter and sugars, once finished add the melted chocolate and mix together.
- Beat in the vanilla extract and cold egg, and then mix in the dry ingredients.
- Add the zest of one orange (you can add more if you like but one gives a subtle undertone of orange) and stir in the cholate chips.
- Using an ice cream scoop or any other utensil you prefer create 12 equal-sized (if you can!) mounds and place on a lined baking sheet about 6cm apart and try to resist the urge to flatten them!
- Place them in the oven and cook for 18 to 20 minutes.
- Leave them to cool for a few minutes or if you’re like me you can “accidentally” devour your whole tester cookie, (it was worth it, I promise).
- Lastly transfer the cookies to a cooling rack to harden and you can soon serve them. Enjoy!
These cookies will be the envy of any New Year’s Day celebrations, enjoy baking and eating them and have a Happy New Year!
Featured image: https://foodal.com/holidays/christmas/chelseas-double-chocolate-orange-cookies/