No need to fear the dreaded Monday morning on February 5th, as we are celebrating World Nutella Day! What better way to start your week than with the world’s favourite nutty chocolate spread? The Sphinx has 4 perfect recipes to share with our Nutella lovers to honour this day in true fashion…
The classic crepe recipe has been revitalised by Nutella which has become a very popular topping for this recipe, which can be eaten for breakfast, desert or a snack!
Ingredients: 100g plain flour, 2 large eggs, 300ml milk, 1 tbsp sunflower or vegetable oil, plus a little extra for frying and around half a jar of Nutella.
• Wisk the flour, eggs, milk and oil in a bowl or jug until smooth. Set it in the fridge for half an hour if you have the time, if not use the batter for cooking straight away.
• Using a medium frying pan/crepe pan, heat over a medium heat adding oil to grease the pan. Cook the crepes by ladling out the content in the pan, flipping over after 1 min on each side until light brown.
• Serve after spreading some Nutella into the crepe either in the pan or on a plate, fold it and then finish with a drizzle of Nutella over the top.
Easy Nutella Brownies
A quick and easy recipe makes baking so much easier when a chocolatey traybake only takes 40 minutes to prep and cook!
Ingredients: 110g butter, melted, 200g caster sugar, 2 eggs, 60g self-raising flour, 30g unsweetened cocoa powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and half a jar of Nutella.
• Preheat oven to 180 C/ Gas 4. Grease a square tin (20cm).
• In a medium bowl, beat the butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Combine flour, cocoa powder and salt separately then add to the sugar mixture. Mix in the vanilla and around half a jar of Nutella and then add to the tin spreading it evenly.
• Bake for 25-30 minutes in the preheated oven or until the edges are firm. Cool before cutting into pieces.
Nutella Mug Cake
No recipe can compete with the mug cake – a yummy desert made in minutes!
Ingredients: 35 grams (1/4 cup) plain flour, 2 tablespoons cocoa powder, 3 tablespoons caster sugar, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder, 1 large egg yolk, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, 3 tablespoons milk and 1 tablespoon Nutella, plus extra on top.
• In a mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and baking powder. Stir together. Then add the egg yolk, vegetable oil and milk and stir to combine. Pour the cake batter into a cup or mug (ensuring there is enough room for the cake to rise without overflowing).
• Add the Nutella in the middle. Then microwave your cake for approximately 80 seconds (900W microwave). Leave to cool for a minute or two. Add a little extra Nutella on top and then dive right in.
Nutella Shortbread Sandwiches
The nutty spread sandwiched between two pieces of sweet shortbread makes a lovely little treat…
Ingredients: 130g salted butter, softened, 80g icing sugar, 1 egg, 250g plain flour, sifted and Nutella, for filling.
• Preheat oven to 200 C / Gas 4.
• Mix the butter with sugar in a bowl. Add the egg and mix until smooth. Add the sifted flour to the bowl and stir together until it forms a ball.
• Lay a sheet of parchment paper on your counter. Place the shortbread dough on it and cover with a second sheet of parchment. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out, until 2 mm thick. Use a shaped cookie cutter to stamp out biscuits.
• Bake for 5 to 10 minutes. Keep an eye on the shortbread and remove from oven when the edges of the shortbread starts to brown.
• Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
• Spread a thin layer of nutella on half of the shortbread hearts and sandwich with remaining shortbread.