Nothing says ‘Easter’ quite like a hot cross bun. This year, why not put your culinary skills to the test by trying some of these wonderfully alternative hot cross bun recipes?
Bacon Smashed Avocado Hot Cross Buns
2 hot cross buns
1 large (smashed) avocado
4 pieces of streaky bacon
1 (juiced) lime
½ (sliced) red chilli
Crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 3, 200°C, fan 180° Cook the bacon for 3-4 minutes each side or until crispy. When you turn the bacon place the hot cross bun on top to soak up the leftover juices and go crispy.
- In a bowl, add the avocado, lime juice, seasoning (black pepper) and half of the chopped chillies and smash with a fork until your desired consistency.
- Finally, stack the smashed avocado and crispy bacon to the toasted hot cross buns and top with feta cheese.
Hot Cross Bun Martini
1 hot cross bun
150 ml of pressed apple juice
- Tear the hot cross bun into small pieces into a bowl.
- Pour over the apple juice, warmed, and set aside for 1 hour.
- Strain/sieve the apple juice into a shaker (or jar), pressing the bun pieces to extract as much juice as possible.
- Add the vodka and add a handful of ice, then shake to mix.
- Divide between two glasses, discarding the ice.
- Garnish with two strips of lemon zest.
Spiced French Toast
4 tbsp soft butter
2 tsp cinnamon
2 eggs, beaten
2 hot cross buns split in half
Vanilla ice-cream and syrup to serve
- Mix 3 tbsp of the butter with half the cinnamon and mash together. Beat together the egg, milk and remaining cinnamon. Sandwich 2 slices of hot cross buns together with half the cinnamon butter and repeat with the remaining slices.
- Dip the buns into the egg mix and leave to soak for a few seconds. Heat the butter for 1-2 minutes each side until lightly golden. Press down on them as they cook. Serve with ice-cream and a drizzle of syrup if you wish.
Easter Cream Tea
150ml of double cream
Zest of ½ lemon
4 hot cross buns
4 heaped tsp of raspberry jam
- Whip the double cream with the lemon zest.
- Take the hot cross buns and spread the jam onto one half and the lemon cream onto the other.
Hot Cross Bread and Butter Pudding
6 hot cross buns
75g dark chocolate chips
2 large eggs
1 tbsp caster sugar
- Heat the oven to gas 3, 170°C, fan 150°
- Cut the hot cross buns in half and butter the cut sides, sprinkle with half of the chocolate chips, sandwich buns together again and place in a baking dish.
- Beat the egg, milk and sugar together and pour over the buns. Scatter with the remaining chocolate chips and bake for 30-35 minutes until just set.
Featured Image: https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/mary_berrys_hot_cross_65003